Mike Clevinger, a starter who signed with the Chicago White Sox earlier this season, is under investigation for allegedly violating Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy.
The investigation stems from allegations made by a woman, Olivia Finestead, who accused Clevinger of physically and emotionally abusing his three children and their two mothers, including herself. She agreed to be named in an interview with The Athletic.
Finestead has been in contact with MLB investigators since last summer, when Clevinger was a member of the San Diego Padres, according to The Athletic, but he addressed her accusations in a series of stories on his Instagram account on Tuesday. Among them, she accused Clevinger of “several acts of domestic violence and child abuse,” including throwing a “chewing spit at a screaming infant” and choking her. The last accused was put up with a series of photos that were allegedly the result of violent acts committed by Clevinger, a 32-year-old man who has been in the major leagues for seven years.
An attorney for Clevinger released a statement Tuesday on behalf of his client that read: “Mike strongly denies the allegations made by Ms. Finestead.”
“He never harmed Ms. Finestead or her daughter,” said attorney Jay Reisinger. “We will not comment on Ms. Finestead’s intent in making these false allegations. Her threats and baseless allegations have escalated over the past few months, culminating recently in disturbing threats against a family Mike and Mike. His threats and his pattern of abuse. The simple truth is that Mike did nothing wrong. He is a loving and caring father. We advised Mike not to comment on this matter.”
In a statement, the Padres said, “We are aware of MLB’s investigation and fully support their efforts under the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. Due to the ongoing investigative process, we are unable to comment on no more at this time.”
The White Sox signed Clevinger to a one-year, $12 million free agent contract near the end of November — a deal that would have paid him an $8 million base salary in 2023 and included a $12 million mutual option, with a $4 million buyout. , for 2024 — and claimed they were unaware of the allegations when it was signed.
“Major League Baseball and the Chicago White Sox take any and all allegations very seriously, and the White Sox fully support the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy shared by MLB and the MLBPA, ” said the White Sox in their statement. “MLB opened an investigation after learning of these allegations. The White Sox were not aware of the allegations or the investigation when he was signed. The White Sox will refrain from comment until the investigative process is complete MLB.”
ESPN’s Jesse Rogers contributed to this report.